Research and development by Robert A. Cooke, Ph.D.
Leadership/Impact® (L/I) provides managers and executives with unique insights into their personal leadership strategies — and the impact of those strategies on others’ behaviour and performance. The product of extensive leadership effectiveness research, this 360° feedback assessment for leaders is used by organizations worldwide and is featured in Center for Creative Leadership’s book, Feedback to Managers.
How it works
L/I gathers feedback on each leader via two mechanisms:
- The L/I Self-Report Inventory: The leader describes his/her own perceptions of his/her leadership approach and how he/she would like to ideally shape and influence others’ behaviour.
- The L/I Description-by-Others Inventory: At least five of the leader’s peers, managers, and/or subordinates (chosen by the leader) provide feedback on his/her leadership approach, impact, and overall effectiveness.
Each inventory meets rigorous academic and psychometric standards and takes about 30 minutes to complete. Both are available online and on almost any digital device, as well as in hard copy.
The inventory data is processed electronically, and a confidential report is provided for the leader that:
- identifies the gaps between the way he/she is perceived and the leader who he/she wants (and needs) to be.
- considers the implications for his/her colleagues and their organizations, as well as his/her personal and professional performance.
- makes recommendations for change.
A Human Synergistics certified consultant then guides the leader through the findings and helps him/her to develop strategies and techniques to improve his/her long-term effectiveness and impact.
The L/I surveys are available online on almost any digital device as well as in hard copy format.
We recommend that you apply L/I in tandem with the Group Styles Inventory™ and Organizational Culture Inventory®. Together, they enable an integrated approach to developing individual-, group-, and organizational-level thinking and behavioural styles.
You can also use L/I alongside Management/Impact® as an integrated approach to developing your mid- to lower-level managers.
The benefits for your organization
Ideally suited for middle to upper-level managers, L/I provides valuable insights into your leaders’ influence and effectiveness, and helps them to confront and overcome their personal barriers to achieve outstanding performance — and ultimately the performance of their teams and your organization as a whole. It’s particularly useful for:
- initiating and promoting leadership development
- coaching individual managers and executives
- evaluating your leadership development initiatives
- promoting a healthy organizational culture
- enhancing organizational effectiveness
Make L/I part of your drive for change
L/I is best applied by people who’ve been trained to use it. We offer two options:
- A trained and experienced Human Synergistics consultant can help you use L/I and develop truly effective and influential leaders. Simply contact us to find a consultant who’s right for you.
- You can ‘do it yourself’ by arranging L/I accreditation for one or more of your team members. This will ensure they have the skills to administer the L/I and implement meaningful leadership-development strategies. To get started, register for the Impact Certification Workshop.
If you would like to know more about Leadership/Impact®, or any of our wide range of assessments, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.