ACUMEN® Leadership WorkStyles™
Research and development by The Acumen Development Team on the basis of research by Peter D. Gratzinger, Ph.D. and Robert A. Cooke, Ph.D.
Building on the Life Styles Inventory™ (LSI), ACUMEN® Leadership WorkStyles™ (LWS) helps self-motivated leaders strengthen thinking and behavioral styles that promote their effectiveness and moderate styles that prevent them from realizing their potential. LWS is a 360° feedback assessment and development tool for leaders that focuses on combinations of the twelve Circumplex styles and the way they interact to provide feedback on strengths and counterproductive tendencies. It provides the leader with a highly personalized narrative report on the implications of their styles for task accomplishment and teamwork, as well as suggestions for improving communication and project leadership.
How it works
LWS gathers feedback on each leader via two mechanisms:
- The LWS Self-Description Inventory is completed by each individual leader and measures his or her own perception of the thinking and behavioral styles that impact a manager’s ability to lead.
- The LWS Description-by-Others Inventory is completed by individuals with whom the leader works to provide insight into how others view the leader’s effectiveness.
LWS builds on the Life Styles Inventory™ to help self-motivated leaders strengthen thinking and behavioral styles that promote their effectiveness by:
- collecting feedback from self and others to measure the thinking and behavioral styles that impact a manager’s ability to lead.
- providing a visual profile to graphically illustrate the leader’s behavior along such styles as Self-Actualization, Approval, and Competition.
- generating a detailed feedback report that draws from a large database of leader behavior and describes the effectiveness of the leader’s own behavioral patterns.
A Human Synergistics accredited consultant then guides the leader through the findings and helps him/her to develop strategies and techniques to improve his/her long-term effectiveness and impact.
The LWS surveys are available online on almost any digital device as well as in hard copy format.
LWS can be combined with Coach — Co-Achieving to teach leaders how to apply Achievement-oriented thinking to effectively coach others and improve performance.
The benefits for your organization
LWS helps executives, managers, and leaders who would like to develop and grow to realize their full potential.. It’s particularly useful for:
- providing leaders with insights into their personal styles
- showing leaders how their styles combine to shape their leadership performance
- developing leaders’ capacity to monitor and modify their behavior
- offering leaders feedback to help them develop into positions of greater responsibilities
- improve teamwork and leadership abilities to enhance organizational effectiveness
Make LWS part of your drive for change
LWS is best applied by people who’ve been trained to use it. We offer two options:
- A trained and experienced Human Synergistics consultant can help you use LWS and develop truly effective and influential leaders. Simply contact us to find a consultant who’s right for you.
- You can ‘do it yourself’ by arranging LWS accreditation for one or more of your team members. This will ensure they have the skills to administer LWS and implement meaningful leadership-development strategies. To get started, register for an accreditation workshop.
If you would like to know more about ACUMEN® Leadership WorkStyles™, or any of our wide range of assessments, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.