Research and development by Richard V. Farace, Ph.D., Richard Carlson, and Robert A. Cooke, Ph.D.
As research from the American Psychological Association shows, communication plays a key role in the success of an organization and is the foundation of psychologically healthy workplace practices. In an increasingly global work environment, the ability to adapt to a variety of communication styles has become even more crucial.
Perceptive Communications® (PC) shows managers, professionals, and sales people how they are perceived by others, giving them a clear understanding of how their communication styles affect their overall effectiveness.
What does PC do?
PC is a feedback tool that:
- uses feedback from both self and others on communication styles, adaptability, and communication competency.
- identifies similarities and differences between self and others’ views, laying the foundation for awareness and development.
- provides direction for improving communication effectiveness through four separate reports and a Perceptive Communications journal.
PC can also be combined with the Life Styles Inventory™ for further insight into individual styles and effectiveness.
What does PC offer you?
Ideal for those in managerial, professional, and client-facing roles, PC enables individuals to:
- understand their communication style and how they come across to others
- recognize others’ styles so you can determine the best way to communicate with them
- relate communication styles and adaptability to outcomes and communication competency
- improve your communication effectiveness when leading, delegating, negotiating, and managing conflict
- improve interpersonal relationships by developing individual and team communication skills
Research shows that effective communication is essential for global business, team-building, and employee morale. PC’s unique Adaptability feedback highlights how individuals accommodate the communication needs of others, a key skill for communicating effectively. This gives them a broad view of their communication effectiveness and impact on those around them, providing them with the tools to enhance their communication styles.
PC administration options
PC is available online and can be answered in single or multiple sittings. It consists of two separate surveys:
- The PC Self-Description survey is completed by each participant and assesses their own view of their communication style.
- The PC Description-by-Others survey is completed by individuals with whom the participant interacts on a regular basis, providing an outside view of the participant’s current communication practices.
The surveys take approximately 5 to 10 minutes to complete and provide feedback through a series of word sets (e.g., ‘impatient’ and ‘patient’) on a five-point scale, indicating the point between each set of words that best describes the participant.
If you would like to know more about Perceptive Communications, or any of our assessments, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.