Research and Development by Janet L. Szumal, Ph.D. and Robert A. Cooke, Ph.D.
"The M/I assessment goes right to the heart of the matter. Many managers have the best intent, but don’t understand how their actions impact others’ behaviors. The M/I provides targeted and specific feedback that managers can turn into immediate actions.”
An M/I Accredited Client
Designed for managers, front-line leaders, and others who are responsible for motivating, organizing, and guiding the efforts of other people, Management/Impact® is a unique assessment that can be used to align management practices and impact with the organization’s visions, values, and strategies. Specifically, M/I provides managers with the information they need to successfully inspire the people around them to behave in a predominantly Constructive manner. Managers who participate in M/I learn how their management approaches create the impact that they have on other people and the culture of their organizations. Feedback from M/I enables them to see how their use of a Facilitating approach to various management responsibilities (e.g., “give people autonomy in carrying out their work assignments”) leads to a noticeably more Constructive impact and significantly higher levels of effectiveness and success than use of an Inhibiting approach (e.g., “dictate rather than delegate the details for carrying out assignments”), which tends to make the people around them behave in a more Defensive, less effective way.
M/I feedback is based on information collected from two forms of the Management/Impact ® inventory. The M/I Self-Report Inventory identifies the manager’s own perceptions of his/her management approaches and ideal impact. The M/I Description by Others Inventory measures other people’s impressions of the manager’s effectiveness, impact on their behavior, and approach to various responsibilities common to the jobs of most managers. Results are presented to managers in a comprehensive, confidential, and highly-visual feedback report that includes Circumplex-based profiles and tables describing the manager’s ideal and current impact; barcharts and tables summarizing the manager’s approaches to various responsibilities and effectiveness along task, people, and personal criteria; detailed text; suggested resources; and recommendations for using the feedback to improve management effectiveness.
UNIQUE CHARACTERISTICS OF MANAGEMENT/IMPACT® (M/I)
- Provides managers with detailed feedback on the ways in which they approach their work, the impact that they have on the people around them, and their management effectiveness
- Highlights the differences or “gaps” between the impact that the manager wants to have and the impact that he/she actually has on the people around him/her
- Designed to meet rigorous academic and psychometric standards
- Relevant to management development, personal development, organizational culture, and organizational change initiatives
- Part of the Integrated Diagnostic System, which uses the Human Synergistics International Circumplex to link the impact of managers and leaders with their own personal thinking and behavioral styles, the cultural norms and expectations of their organizations, and the behavioral styles that determine the interactions within groups/teams as well as with customers/clients
INTERESTED IN USING M/I?
Contact us for information on product pricing and/or consulting and coaching services. (Online ordering is not available.)
M/I requires accreditation from Human Synergistics before materials can be purchased. Click here for more information about accreditation with the Impact Workshop.
The Impact Accreditation Program is preapproved for HRCI recertification credit hours and ICF Continuing Coaching Education units.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute’s criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.
As authorized by the International Coach Federation, Continuing Coaching Education (CCE) units are issued to participants who complete the Impact Accreditation program as follows: 4.25 hours toward ICF Core Competencies and 8.83 hours toward Resource Development.